1. In my opinion, Fall is the best time of year for fashion. I love the transition time right now when you can still wear tank tops and dresses with cardigans and boots or Toms. I am kind of addicted to planning outfits. Now that I go to work everyday, I seriously get excited every morning when I get dressed...as long as the laundry is done and I can physically walk in my closet. I hear many women complaining about the transition time and I never get it. Here are my top 4 tips for dressing right now:
- CARDIGANS! I know all yall own them and love them, but now is the best time to wear them. I can take a plain dress or top, add a cardi and necklaces and VOILA! Perfect fall transition outfit. Cardis are great for me as they are warm on the cool mornings and in the cold office. I have even worn them over a cute tshirt (razorback of course :)) and with comfy jeans and Toms and the cardi made the outfit. One of the best things about a cardigan is that covers the lovely muffin top area...just sayin :)
- SKINNIES!! Don't believe the myth that skinny jeans are only for skinny girls. Now that does not mean to squeeze yourself in a pair. Buy a pair that fits and wear them with tunics (with a cardigan too!) and boots, or wedges, or even Toms or Converse. I like skinny jeans because I don't wear short or fitted tops (at least around the waist). So if I wear a big top, skinnies will slim me on the bottom half. You know all those silly dresses that are adorable but WAY too short? Throw it over a pair of skinny jeans, SUPER CUTE! Today I am wearing a pair of skinnies with a big top and cardi, necklaces, a belt and my red Toms wedges. This pretty much sums up my fall fave outfit as I can wear jeans (dressed up) to work. I love me some Long and Leans and Curvy jeans from Gap too....
- FALL COLORS! I L O V E the colors of Fall. Take advantage of this time of year and wear the browns, mauves, purples, reds, oranges, greens etc. Add a scarf to the above outfit in any of these colors and it makes it pop. Whether it is my nails, shoes, a scarf, necklace or bangle, I always have a pop of color of this season on to amp it up!
- DRESSES! DO NOT put away your summer dresses (well, the linen sundresses, and the beach dresses, yes)! I am still wearing my solid maxi dresses and cotton short dresses with boots or flats and cardis. Once again, add a scarf or a warm belt and you will totally transform that same dress you wore with flip flops into a warm fall outfit.
- Time to quit wearing summer clothes AS SUMMER CLOTHES!!! I know it still gets warm in the afternoons, but I cannot stand wearing things out of season. Since I have explained how you can transform your current wardrobe, there is no need to still see summer outfits after Labor Day, right ? :) This does NOT mean not to wear white. I think white jeans can even still be pulled off after Labor Day when done right (tunic, flats, scarf etc).
2. Get your house smelling good!! I went last night and stocked up on wallflowers at B&BW and my house smells wonderful!! Trust me, the smell of pumpkins, apples and leaves will even hypnotize your husband into keeping the house clean!! My favorite scents are Autumn, Leaves, Fireside, and Acorn and Fig. I put Marshmallow Fireside in the girls' rooms and it smells like toasted marshmallows!! My other favorite smells can be found at WM in the Febreeze section!! Check out the pumpkin ones and autumn ones..mmmmmmm! I go through many bottles of the air effects!!
3. Meal Planning - Ever since I started my Home Organization Binder, I have been planning meals. Doing that, it has inspired me to look for more recipes and ideas. With Fall pretty much here and us being so busy after school and work, I am busting out my crockpot and utilizing the Crockpot Girls on Facebook. Go like them and you will see tons of recipes on their pictures. Nothing says Fall to me more than coming home to a great, warm meal in the crockpot waiting on us!!
4. Fall clothing for kids! Go to facebook right now and like the following:
Lolly Wolly Doodle
A&C Posh Designs
If You Say Sew
These are just a few of the places I have ordered from or plan to this week. Such great deals and CUTE stuff!!!! Thinking about doing some childrens' clothing posts?? Interested? Don't feel silly putting up pictures of my monkeys :)
5. Stop and be grateful. Right now we are all in the busiest time of year with school, work, extra curricular activities and just life. It is real easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle and before you know it is Christmas!! I am challenging myself and I challenge you, pretend like every day is Thanksgiving this Fall and thank the Lord for that day and how He has blessed you. Today is your only September 7th, 2011 you will ever have, be thankful for it :). Today I am thankful that this sweet girl did her homework at my office last night, after dance, while Mama finished up her work :) And I am thankful for these two dressed alike for picture day today :)....and I am thankful for Bree too but no new pics of her since yesterday :)
So there you have it!!! What did I miss? Any other words of wisdom for the Fall? :)