Friday, November 14, 2008

A Sister's Toast...

It is finally here....Tara and Drew are getting married tomorrow. I cannot tell you how excited we all are and cannot wait for all the hard work to come together tomorrow. Tara has a busy day planned today for us and of course tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure and take a second and share this with yall. As her Matron of Honor and Maid of Honor, Nicole and I have to give toasts tonight at the Rehearsal Dinner....below is mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take a stroll down memory lane with me if you will…almost 22 years ago to the day, December 17th, 1986. I am in a hospital waiting room in the delivery ward. I am almost 6 years old and the itty bitty spunky red head next to me is 3. We are sitting with our Nina, and it just so happens to be her birthday. We are waiting the arrival of our newest little brother or sister. I have to add that in the true spirit of our Mother, we are wearing matching snowman shirts made by my Mom for this occasion.

We are coloring pictures and anxiously awaiting the baby. I look up at Nina and say, “I hope this baby is a boy, I really don’t want another sister like Tara!”

As Nina is getting on to me, we think we hear a baby crying. After what seems like an eternity to this adorable 5.5 year old, Dad comes out and tells us HER name is Nicole Carol and to come back and see her. Another sister…we go back there and I somewhat get over my longing for a brother and am excited to see Nicole….Tara stood in the door way and refused to get near her….sure signs of our future =).

Well I was right, I really did not want another sister and she was nothing like Tara =). I kid…growing up with 2 sisters is an experience that will forever live with me. Yes, it had its ups and downs, fighting over everything from clothes and shoes to who was in charge when Mom and Dad were gone, which you both know I was ALWAYS in charge =). But we never ceased to have nights of laughing all night long, weekends of decorating our own Christmas Trees, weeks of cheer and pom tryouts practice and helping each other and of course the occasional crashing of me and Shane’s dates in high school. Little did I know that was just the tip of the iceberg from what was to come in our later years. I could not live without you and thank God that He has blessed me with you both.

Tara – I cannot even begin to express how proud of you I am. If you remember, I actually thought you were never going to get any bigger (she was ITTY BITTY as a kid) and would be a red-headed midget. Seriously yall, she was a little, shy girl that blossomed later in her Senior Year. You have no idea how many stupid boys are kicking themselves as they ignored a little short skinny Tara with braces most of high school. It was like she became a WOMAN over night and she did not have time for these “boys”. Too little, too late!! But now, you are a tall, gorgeous, smart force to be reckoned with and nothing makes me prouder. You are an amazing aunt to Claire and Owen and they love you so much. You and I have a relationship unlike no other and I love you for that everyday. You are going to make an excellent wife and mother one day as God has huge plans for you.

Drew – I am so excited that you are joining our family…mainly because I always wanted an older brother =). Anyone that can make Tara as happy as you have over the last 5 years, we love and welcome with open arms. I personally see her joy everyday. We were blessed with Shane 7 years ago and now we have been blessed again with you. We are a crazy family, but mostly crazy about each other. I can promise you that our family will always have fun together and be there for you always. We look forward to many many years of craziness to come with you and Tara…and hopefully a couple sweet babies…along the way!

To the both of you – Remember to always keep God first in your marriage as he brought you together 5 years ago with His plans already made for this weekend exactly. If you remember to always keep Him first and to pray to Him, you will forever be guided and taken care of and there is no greater feeling.

We love you so much!! Cheers!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an incredibly sweet toast... way to go, sis!! Is "Nina" your g'ma? I have cousins that call their g'ma (on the other side of the fam) "Nina." It gets very confusing for us when we are all together but a very cute name I must say so myself!
Have a fabulous weekend!! Your speech Rocks!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Ahhhh I had tears in my eyes! You are soo sweet and what a beautiful toast! Wow, can't believe it's tomorrow! Isn't it great to add such wonderful boys to the family, so happy for you guys!

Girl Meets Beau said...

What a sweet post! I grew up with an older sister and then my parents surprised us with another. It was so much fun to always have a buddy to hang out with....even though I always wanted an older brother :)

I'm sure you are all going to have a fabulous day tomorrow! I hope you can take it all in and enjoy it!! Can't wait to see pics

Lane said...

Rachel you have a way with words that's for sure! You made me cry reading that!! :) That is a great toast and I know Tara will love it. I can't believe the wedding is already tomorrow! Time has flown! Can't wait!

Maggie said...

Beautiful, Rachel, just beautiful!! What a special, special time for your family. The speech is absolutely perfect!

Have a wonderful couple of days with your sister, and get yourself back to blogland, girl!! Just kiddin', but I really have missed you!! =)

Unknown said...

Perfectly written Rach! Its a great tribute to your sister and I am so happy for all of you!!

Brandi said...

Wonderful speech Rachel! Brought tears to my eyes. Being a newlywed myself I remember the speeches given at our wedding and not a dry eye there! Have a fabulous weekend!!!

Brooke Bertalan said...

Rachel, this is a beautiful speech and it made me tear up. You are such an awesome big sister (and I can see where Claire gets her personality from. Haha!) I hope everything goes well tonight and you don't turn into the blubbering mess I would be if I had something so sweet to say. A little tip.... Take a shot of vodka before giving this speech so that you don't fall apart. It helped me at my wedding. :) Good luck and I will see you tomorrow night with my party dress on!!!

Mrs. Heck said...

♥ You brought tears to my eyes girl! :) I hope everything goes smoothly tonight during the rehearsal dinner and tomorrow during the wedding! Your sister(s) are lucky to have a great older sis like you!

amywelborn said...

How exciting and what a beautiful toast!! You sisters are so cute!

Kristy said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the pictures from the weddding!